Skip to main content

PC V.S. Consoles - Which Is Better and What Should You Get?

Heads-up: the word "Console" is dirtier than "Mac" for hardcore PC gamers

I'm going to be blunt here - when it comes to PC graphics, there is no contest.

Now of course that means you need a good PC, so you'll have to spend a minimum of $800 for an entry-level setup - although, if you look on YouTube, there are some videos where you could (amazingly) upgrade your PC or build a new one for less than $200, that's capable of playing most games.

I've been playing consoles like NES and Sega Genesis (or Saturn as some of you know it) since I was two. I played games like Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, Donkey Kong and Tetris. Then I moved to Super Nintendo, N64 and Sega Dreamcast, so I can play Mario 64 and NBA 2k.

I began to see graphic potential in games when the Nintendo GameCube came out. The visuals were stunning - titles like Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Mario Kart were all I played for months.

Then I got a Nintendo DS for my birthday and I got to play Mario Kart DS online connecting to other DSs. My point? Not that I'm a game addict (even though I am), but I started off on consoles like a lot of gamers do.

I mean used to play Blue's Clues, Dora and Pajama Sam on PC, but those are interactive adventures - not full-out video games.

My first true PC game was the Sims original. That game was incredible - I could build an entire family, forget to add a ladder to the inground pool, then burn my house down in all of three minutes.

But I didn't fall in love with PC gaming until later. I had the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 to keep me occupied.

It was when I bought my little MacBook Air and I set up windows to play the Mass Effect Trilogy everything changed.

After running GTA at 10 fps on my previous laptop, I knew it was time for an upgrade.

My Mac sported a core i7 processor, 4 GB RAM, a 256 GB SSD and Intel HD (onboard) Graphics 3000.

I'd wanted to play Mass Effect for years and I bought the third game for PC, (I downloaded it through Apple Bootcamp which let's you run Windows on Mac) and loved it enough - although it ended with a cliffhanger and felt a little incomplete - that I bought the first and second right after.

I created a custom female Shepard and got locked-in to a romance with Samantha Traynor (I just wanted to laugh at the part in the shower!)


Those of you who are not, Mass Effect is a third-person shooter-based RPG, so you create your character male or female (pick the woman, she's Jennifer Hale!) and choose whatever your want to do essentially. You're a space commander after all and you choose what aliens (or humans) can be trusted.

I've played through the trilogy seven times and I'm on my eighth (that's dedicated and very obsessive), which takes about 100 hours per runthrough.

So that and playing games like Battlefield 2 when I was younger and GTA IV, is how I fully got into PC gaming. I never turned back.

Now, should everyone ditch their Xboxes and switch over to PC? Well it couldn't hurt.

First off, some people want to play Xbox on their brand new TVs they got for 40% off during the Black Friday Sale over the Holidays.

That's valid. Some of you guys have a super comfy couch with an indented groove for you to wriggle into every time you want to play.

The again many of you like the network on Xbox Live or PSN.

All good reasons - for casual gamers that is.

For the hardcore ones - go with triple 27" monitors, dual-GPUs with liquid cooling and a $150 mouse (no controllers here.)

It really comes down to this: how much are you willing to spend?

It you're a weekend gamer, and prefer to spend $400 on a new console, cause you have a nice couch and TV or got a console on sale for $50 off- then by all means, go for it.

But if you play games for more than four hours a day, plus you have a nice ergonomic office chair and have no problem spending anywhere from $800 to $8000 on your new setup - do it.

That is, If you can tell the difference.

I surprised many people actually can't! The difference between console and PC gaming five years ago was night-and-day.

Today with Xbox One and PS4 the lines are blurring.

Go on YouTube and look up your favorite title and find a platform graphics comparison - something like PS4 VS PC - and see if you can really tell which one looks better.

The only reason I can is because I'm super obsessive - but if you really can't, best go with the cheapest solution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EA Play 2017 Announcements

EA Play 2017   Madden NFL 18 EA's presser kicked off with a  Madden 18 trailer showing off its new Longshot campaign mode. Alongside FIFA 18 and the newly-refreshed NBA LIVE 18 , this looks to be a step in the right direction for the Madden NFL franchise - especially, in the last decade.  Watch the trailer Battlefield 1 -  Expansion  Battlefield 1 now has eight new maps, within its 'In the Name of the Tsar' expansion. This boasts new vehicles, weapons, the addition of a women's battalion and interestingly a new gameplay mode based off of player feedback, was teased. More about that will shared in August, at Gamescom. FIFA 18  The official trailer for FIFA 18 was shown, alongside a video of Cristiano Ronaldo performing motion capture. EA announced the return of Alex Hunter in the campaign mode. A Nintendo Switch version will also be released, although a 'lesser product' than the mainstream next-gen release. Watch the trailer Need for Speed

Review of the Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Laptop VS Desktop? Have both. What is a "graphics amplifier"? In essence an external GPU you can plug right into your system. Many companies have tried to release these onto the market, but sadly many haven't gotten past announcement phase. Users either resort to painstakingly building custom external graphics cards with components purchased all over the web or simply tossing aside their laptop and building a $10000 gaming PC for their graphics power needs. Both are acceptable, but Alienware and Razor (or any other company to announce one aain) give you another option: a mini-tower outfitted with a build-in PSU and cooling fan for your graphics power needs. Easier and More Flexible Wouldn't it be great to bring your laptop to work, coming back to your home office 2 hours later and gaming away as if it were that $10000 desktop? What a versatile workstation! No stray red, black and yellow cables sticking out of a shoebox or melted GPUs.

Level Design in God of War (Part 1)

Becoming the God of War God of War is one of the most-critically acclaimed franchises to ever hit the Playstation market. In this pipeline deconstruction, I will refer to elements of the series as a whole. Dominus the main character in concept, needed to be summed up in a single word -- wrath . Covered in the ash of his wife and child, the character is a demigod who seeks revenge on the gods who betrayed him. Once the artists stripped away his armor and shield, the character’s true raw, animalistic side was exposed. Tall with upper-body musculature, covered in ashes and hunched over with his signature Blades of Chaos, Dominus was a force to be reckoned with. Dominus set the stage for the today’s Playstation mascot -- Kratos. Level Design Mood and exploration is a staple part of level design in God of War . Areas that are more open are also relatively barren; while many objects are placed around smaller areas like rooms. I think this encourages the player’s sense o