Skip to main content

Should You Pre-order a Game? (Plus Best Titles this Year)

Okay, I'm guilty of doing what's essentially gaming-taboo, three times this year: pre-ordering!
I've pre-ordered Metal Gear Solid V, Black Ops III and Fallout 4 - easily the most anticipated titles Q4 of 2015.

Verdict? Well after a year in review, I definitely don't regret pre-ordering Black Ops III. I got to pre-load the entire 50 GB for PC and I was good to go for Zombies by 12 am.

Pre-ordering Metal Gear Solid V (my favorite game this year, hands down) made me nervous; After all I couldn't wait to play it since Ground Zeroes last year.

No one knew about the existence Black Ops III before April, I mean we expected it since BO2, but it wasn't set in stone until that Snapchat snap (is that what you call them?), with the "Listen only to the sound of my voice" tag. My favorite Call of Duty pre-launch and in-game campaign, by far!

As for Fallout. I've heard of Fallout 4 coming for years now, but having only joined the franchise in at title four (not withstanding the spin-offs like New Vegas), I didn't know what to expect, besides the rumors. It was hyped at E3 and I was like "Fallout? Right the "War, war never changes" game with the vaults and VATS system. Graphics are not Witcher-class by any stretch, but looks fun with all the customization!"

I was impressed by it - the scale of the world, the extensive weapon modding and the face-sculpting feature for character customization. So, I knew I was going to try it out. It was between this game and Star Wars Battlefront and I chose Fallout.

 Don't get me wrong, Battlefront's graphics are gorgeous, (especially on the PC), but this is where Fallout and Battlefront butt heads:
Put simply, Battlefront = graphics, Fallout = gameplay. Which is more important? The answer may be lackluster, but both are! It really all depends on the player.

Take Grand Theft Auto V for instance, Los Santos is massive and the cars are stunning and fast - but the faces aren't like L.A. Noire at all.

That's because GTA's graphics aren't its selling point. It's its scope. You can do whatever you want in those games and I've had a while to explore - I played San Andreas at I was seven (not recommended) and was mesmerized that there were arcade games in a game! If that wasn't enough, it just takes a search on YouTube with a two words like "GTA mods" or "GTA fails" to see that this game is a criminal Second Life.

I love PC games for the visuals solely - no frame cap, better textures, soft/hard lighting effects and infinite configuration. If your PC can support it, the game will run it - mods and all.

But are graphics enough to keep a player engaged? Crysis 3 is the best I can think of - the game is no doubt gorgeous - but the story for the most part is just okay, until the end - unlike Crysis 2 with a beautiful story/graphics medley. Fallout however is contrary - okay graphics and terrific gameplay and with what I've seen so far, the story is fantastic, set in a post-apocalyptic nuclear warzone.

So which do I prefer? As an avid max-settings PC gamer, I have to say I prefer gameplay; no amount of modding can remedy an anticlimactic story or terrible ending, (e.g. Mass Effect 3, even though the rest of the game is unbelievable.) Mods can fix bad graphics.

Horrible graphics only make the developers look behind-the-times, whereas poor gamplay tarnishes their rep for years, (going back to ME3, EA/Bioware's still warding off death threats). So in short, gameplay is tantamount.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't recommend pre-ordering a $60 game until you've looked into it and are almost sure it's going to break ground. What do you think of the trailer? What do you like about the gameplay? Have you played any of the previous games?

As for when to pre-order a game, I believe 1-2 weeks before its release. That gives you enough time to look into whether it's what you expected. Often times professional reviewers get early copies of the game and post their thoughts in spoiler-free articles for consumers to read. The companies also upload many pre-release trailers during their marketing campaign, so you can see what interests you about the game.

Then again, when Gamestop's doors unlock at 12 am and after camping out for three hours you get the game, then scurry home to put it in the disc tray - then an hour later you realize it isn't exactly what you expected, (but now you can't return it tonight, because you waited too long and they're closed), just bring it back! The problem with physical games, if I remember, if you bring it back it becomes "used", so you only get about $50 back. But with the digital version, for PC's Steam at least, you get two hours to try it out then you can get your money back if it's not for you.

I hope that clears that issue up nicely. Just as a bonus, I'll do a mini-review of the games I bought:

Call of Duty is practically the same game every year with the exception of Treyarch's Black Ops, which should in my opinion be a franchise of its own, (forever team Black Ops.) If you're still considering buying it or getting someone else to for Christmas - do it. It's my favorite Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare.

The Zombies and Nightmares modes are my favorite in the game - but I won't spoil them for you.

As for Metal Gear, I expected greatness and got it. It's my favorite game this year. Even more than it's missions, I love the character development of the game - especially with Quiet, the new recruit. She's my favorite MGS character, and she's not just a female Snake! Quiet, as the name suggests, hardly says a word at all and she grows on you - you just love her more and more after every mission.

As for the next few games I'm gonna pre-order: Rise of the Tomb Raider for PC (the first game was amazing - beautiful graphics and survival-based story, the complete package in my view) and Tom Clancy's: The Division, a third-person shooter, set in post-apocalyptic-viral-outbreak NYC.

So just a fun way to wrap this post, have you bought any games this year or thinking of it? Which ones?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EA Play 2017 Announcements

EA Play 2017   Madden NFL 18 EA's presser kicked off with a  Madden 18 trailer showing off its new Longshot campaign mode. Alongside FIFA 18 and the newly-refreshed NBA LIVE 18 , this looks to be a step in the right direction for the Madden NFL franchise - especially, in the last decade.  Watch the trailer Battlefield 1 -  Expansion  Battlefield 1 now has eight new maps, within its 'In the Name of the Tsar' expansion. This boasts new vehicles, weapons, the addition of a women's battalion and interestingly a new gameplay mode based off of player feedback, was teased. More about that will shared in August, at Gamescom. FIFA 18  The official trailer for FIFA 18 was shown, alongside a video of Cristiano Ronaldo performing motion capture. EA announced the return of Alex Hunter in the campaign mode. A Nintendo Switch version will also be released, although a 'lesser product' than the mainstream next-gen release. Watch the trailer Need for Speed

Review of the Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Laptop VS Desktop? Have both. What is a "graphics amplifier"? In essence an external GPU you can plug right into your system. Many companies have tried to release these onto the market, but sadly many haven't gotten past announcement phase. Users either resort to painstakingly building custom external graphics cards with components purchased all over the web or simply tossing aside their laptop and building a $10000 gaming PC for their graphics power needs. Both are acceptable, but Alienware and Razor (or any other company to announce one aain) give you another option: a mini-tower outfitted with a build-in PSU and cooling fan for your graphics power needs. Easier and More Flexible Wouldn't it be great to bring your laptop to work, coming back to your home office 2 hours later and gaming away as if it were that $10000 desktop? What a versatile workstation! No stray red, black and yellow cables sticking out of a shoebox or melted GPUs.

Level Design in God of War (Part 1)

Becoming the God of War God of War is one of the most-critically acclaimed franchises to ever hit the Playstation market. In this pipeline deconstruction, I will refer to elements of the series as a whole. Dominus the main character in concept, needed to be summed up in a single word -- wrath . Covered in the ash of his wife and child, the character is a demigod who seeks revenge on the gods who betrayed him. Once the artists stripped away his armor and shield, the character’s true raw, animalistic side was exposed. Tall with upper-body musculature, covered in ashes and hunched over with his signature Blades of Chaos, Dominus was a force to be reckoned with. Dominus set the stage for the today’s Playstation mascot -- Kratos. Level Design Mood and exploration is a staple part of level design in God of War . Areas that are more open are also relatively barren; while many objects are placed around smaller areas like rooms. I think this encourages the player’s sense o