Skip to main content

Easiest Way to Get Started With Digital Drawing!

What's a Pen Tablet?


In simple terms, it will be your third arm; your go-to solution for getting your art to show up on screen. Ok, it's really just like your pencil.

And your pen. And your brush. And your marker.

With digital art, any shape of brush and its physical effect can be simulated, beyond what's possible with the canvas.

Here's how you start creating your own magical digital art!

What you need


First off, if you're just getting started, you really don't need a $1300 Cintiq or even an $800 iPad Pro. If you have one, start use it properly! You don't need me to tell you how.

If you don't know what a Cintiq is, bear with me.

That's a Pen Tablet

 

You know you plug it into your computer and it's got a little stylus you can use to write on it with?

If this is your first tablet, an Intuos or Bamboo could be a great entry-level tablet. Later you can consider the Cintiq tablet PC.

But come on, I've been drawing digitally for five years and I don't have one--well really fifteen years (those sweet times with Microsoft Paint.)

Less than $200 is a good place to start.


Got it. So how does it work?

 

You see computers speak in binary 1s and 0s and..

No way.

You plug it in! That's it.

It really acts as your mouse cursor input.

You draw, it moves on screen. 

 

Software 

Microsoft Paint? Not a chance.

If you want to try out the two more popular choices Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter, go ahead and download a free 30-day trial version from their websites.

Remember, when the trials expire change your computer calendar date to when you first downloaded the software. It resets the trial-I mean your clock.

I didn't tell you that. Just something I saw once in a YouTube video.

And more relevantly, there are many YouTube beginner five-minute Photoshop tutorials that will give you the rundown for those that find it daunting.

As long as your don't revert to Microsoft paint. Just don't go that low.

Laptop, Tablet, Desktop?


I personally use a Wacom Bamboo and Corel Painter on my MacBook Air.

I think drawing on a laptop is more flexible as you can take your setup on-the-go. Like any tablet, these pen tablets are thin and light, so you can always draw anywhere.

Although a desktop computer is arguably more powerful and many freelance artists work on their desks.

Many do take their work on the go with their tablets and then refine their projects on their desktops when they get back to their, you know, desks.

A laptop is really just a hybrid between the two.

I would just start off with whatever primary computer you use and upgrade the gear as needed.  

Needed.

 

Can't I use my phone?


If you can work on a 5" screen, feel free to use your Galaxy Note.

For those of us who are nearsighted, it's probably better though to use an iPad and a stylus (not that Apple one for $100) or your galaxy tab, if you're an android kind.

If it's rectangle and has a screen, you can use it.

Where to Share!


Show off anywhere from Facebook to Deviant Art--that's the digital art hub.

Or post it below!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Review - Part 3

FORZA MOTORSPORT 6: APEX Favorite Gameplay Component My favorite gameplay component of Forza Motorsport 6: Apex is altering and tailoring my driving style to the conditions of the race. If ever I attempt to reach top-speed on a wet track such as Brands Hatch United Kingdom, the vehicle spins off track and out of control. That’s a challenge for me, as my strategy isn’t so much into drifting, but in staying as straight as possible, so that I can reach over to 200 km/h -- keeping within a controllable limit. Another method of mine I had to retire -- and this is coming from the likes of Asphalt 6: Airborne and Mario Kart Double Dash - - which is ramming into players. I quickly found out in a vehicle simulator under the laws of natural physics, this reduces my speed on impact. There are also frequent bottlenecks at turning points in the track; luckily I can use my best strategy and I find this to be the best opportunity to strategically slip past other cars when an opening ...

Creating Action Scenes for Concept Art

Creating Action Scenes Concept Art Tutorial  After wrapping up my first fanart series on NieR:Automata ( catch it right here ), I would like to start a new walk-through series right here, on how I create action scenes for entertainment art. So, let's jump into it! Step 1: Reference and Thumbnails To start building a reference board, I use a free app called PureRef; it allows you to take any reference images that you like, and lay them out in an organized collage.  One thing to keep in mind when creating thumbnails, is it’s best to get as  many  ideas as you can down on paper. Don't be intimidated by that! There are no wrong ideas and it doesn't matter if it looks rudimentary at this stage.  When creating thumbnail sketches, think of what you want to see as the main focus of the scene; so, in this case, I want to have the main character 2B slashing a large machine – something inspired by an in-game screenshot. Now, with a rough sketch of b...

Time Manipulation in Game Design

Time Manipulation in Games Introduction The gameplay mechanic that I wish I had come up with first, is Time Manipulation. This is includes the concept of time dilation and the reversal of time in games. Implementing the Manipulation of Time Time manipulation is a robust mechanic. It involves non-exploitable time manipulation, with the goal of being fast and smooth, while not computationally-taxing on memory or hardware resources. The best way to implement this mechanic can be seen in Braid - an indie platform and puzzle game, developed by Number None, Inc. In this game, the world state is recorded for every frame, where the data is stored and compressed. With the recorded frames, any changing entities are extracted and mixed into the final state, which can be manipulated or rewound by the player. The player’s position is recorded and other properties such as color and rotation are stored as an integer that can be reconstructed, along with time information taken fro...