Skip to main content

Published a Book? Get Into Libraries!

Easier than writing it 


My new children's book "Prissy Little Chloe" is starting out in libraries across Toronto. I'm really excited about that -- namely, it's far easier than I thought it would be!

First Contact


Once you've gotten your book in print, do a Google search (or your search engine of choice) for any local libraries.

On their site under the "Contact Us" tab, you should be able to click on their email address (if it's not hyperlinked to open up in your mail application, simply copy and paste it.)

Next, shoot them an email of course! This is sometimes more efficient than a phone call, as it gets redirected to the department that can help you best. 

Here's what I say:


Hello, 

What process does the _____ Library go through to order books? (if you're self-published) Would you consider Amazon-published ______ books? Thank you!

or 

Hello, 

What process does the _____ Library go through to order books? (if you're traditionally-published) Would you consider _______(link to book listing) from my publisher? Thank you!

Method to the Madness


Now it is very brief, but I prefer the term concise. A direct question yields a direct response. 

You can add all the marketing fluff once you get the response.

That's reason you don't link to your self-published book in the first email. 

You want to come off as professional and genuinely interested in a mutual benefit; then you can sell to them.

Knock and the door shall be opened


Or put simply, once you get an answer, it has two potential outcomes: no, they don't accept self-published books/are not interested in your book at this time or yes -- and they want to know more.

In that event, pitch to them; send them all the details (easier with a link) and most importantly, why they need your book in their library. If you have a fantastic book, this could be easily put in a sentence or two. 

They pay you!


When they request to buy your book, you can deliver the order personally if it's a local library -- or ship it and include the expenses in your invoice to them. 

You are a publicly-published author! Hurray! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Review - Part 3

FORZA MOTORSPORT 6: APEX Favorite Gameplay Component My favorite gameplay component of Forza Motorsport 6: Apex is altering and tailoring my driving style to the conditions of the race. If ever I attempt to reach top-speed on a wet track such as Brands Hatch United Kingdom, the vehicle spins off track and out of control. That’s a challenge for me, as my strategy isn’t so much into drifting, but in staying as straight as possible, so that I can reach over to 200 km/h -- keeping within a controllable limit. Another method of mine I had to retire -- and this is coming from the likes of Asphalt 6: Airborne and Mario Kart Double Dash - - which is ramming into players. I quickly found out in a vehicle simulator under the laws of natural physics, this reduces my speed on impact. There are also frequent bottlenecks at turning points in the track; luckily I can use my best strategy and I find this to be the best opportunity to strategically slip past other cars when an opening ...

Creating Action Scenes for Concept Art

Creating Action Scenes Concept Art Tutorial  After wrapping up my first fanart series on NieR:Automata ( catch it right here ), I would like to start a new walk-through series right here, on how I create action scenes for entertainment art. So, let's jump into it! Step 1: Reference and Thumbnails To start building a reference board, I use a free app called PureRef; it allows you to take any reference images that you like, and lay them out in an organized collage.  One thing to keep in mind when creating thumbnails, is it’s best to get as  many  ideas as you can down on paper. Don't be intimidated by that! There are no wrong ideas and it doesn't matter if it looks rudimentary at this stage.  When creating thumbnail sketches, think of what you want to see as the main focus of the scene; so, in this case, I want to have the main character 2B slashing a large machine – something inspired by an in-game screenshot. Now, with a rough sketch of b...

Time Manipulation in Game Design

Time Manipulation in Games Introduction The gameplay mechanic that I wish I had come up with first, is Time Manipulation. This is includes the concept of time dilation and the reversal of time in games. Implementing the Manipulation of Time Time manipulation is a robust mechanic. It involves non-exploitable time manipulation, with the goal of being fast and smooth, while not computationally-taxing on memory or hardware resources. The best way to implement this mechanic can be seen in Braid - an indie platform and puzzle game, developed by Number None, Inc. In this game, the world state is recorded for every frame, where the data is stored and compressed. With the recorded frames, any changing entities are extracted and mixed into the final state, which can be manipulated or rewound by the player. The player’s position is recorded and other properties such as color and rotation are stored as an integer that can be reconstructed, along with time information taken fro...